Alternate Therapies for Autism
This page is designed to help you do research finding help and solutions that improve the autism symptoms. You can use this reference page to search further on many and various therapies that have helped others. New products and theories are showing up all the time. Explore More
There are many different therapies that have helped many people with “mental problems”, ranging from ADD/ADHD/Autism to depression, and even schizophrenia. Some (such as EEG Biofeedback (aka Neurofeedback (NFB)) or End Point Titration (EPT) or Hyperbaric (oxygen tanks), etc, that now have inexpensive alternates are not included. Google these “names” if info is desired on them.
1. The newest and certainly the least expensive “brain training” method is the Neuroliminal Training (NT) system. This has now been shown to be an excellent and inexpensive alternate to both the very expensive Neurofeedback (NFB) training, and Hyperbaric Oxygen. Results are very similar to Neurofeedback (both EEG and HEG BF). For a fraction of the cost of those, it offers an affordable and much better alternative to Ritalin and other dangerous drugs for mid and low income families who simply cannot afford Neurofeedback or Hyperbaric. Both NFB and NT work to eliminate allergen affects causing mental problems of all types.
2. Allergens are almost always part of all “brain problems”, There’s a simple and free (except for some detective work) way to detect them. Even if you use the NT or NFB Training, this is a good idea!
3. For the ADD to Autism continuum (as well as depression and schizophrenia), there is a good possibility that mercury used in infant or childhood vaccines (or other toxic minerals) may be the real underlying problem. These mineral toxins MUST be chelated out of the body. There are various old and new methods of doing this:
a. Vitamin C in large doses: This has two advantages; it’s relatively cheap, and it’s good for overall health. In my former practice, I used it with excellent success in many schizophrenia cases. In general, it is very safe, unless the patient has an allergy to corn (not that unusual). For smaller children, I would recommend 1 gram (1000 mg) at each meal per 40 pounds per child. Overdosing only causes diarrhea, and it might be necessary to work up to this amount if such occurs. If a corn allergy is suspected, then use Calcium Ascorbate, either in powder or pill form. I buy the cheapest form of Ascorbic acid from Cosco, but my wife (with corn allergy) has to use the Calcium Ascorbate.
b. Injecting chelating chemical: A therapy where a chelating drug (EDTA) is injected into a vein for an hour or so in a clinic office. This is also quite expensive. Not recommended.
c. Zeolite in liquid form: A newer method taken by mouth (and relatively expensive). This is actually a form of lava rock that is very porous, and this porosity attracts heavy metals (mercury, lead, copper, etc) binds to it, and carries it out via the urine/kidney pathway. The reports are excellent, but it’s marketed by a sort of MultiLevelMarketing (MLM) scheme that makes it more expensive. Base retail price is about $50, but if you become a distributor, it drops to $33 or so. You can get more details by Googling “zeolite”.
d. Glutathione Supplements: There’s a (new to me) supplement specifically designed to raise Glutathione levels in the body. Glutathione is a natural combination of amino acids that is a powerful anti-oxident with several other interesting features:
It’s a major part of the immune system often overlooked by scientists. Glutathione detoxifies the body by taking poisons, including mercury and other toxic minerals out. (Similar to chelation, but most other toxins as well as minerals.) It’s not absorbed well when taken as a direct supplement. This is important as there are many supplements that contain glutathione that are not generally effective.
Low levels of glutathione are found in all autistic children, as well as many other sick or toxic persons. These low levels do not allow excretion well. This explains why hair, blood, and urine tests of mercury (and other minerals) do not show accurately what is stored in the body.
Price of supplement program – $85 for a 28 day supply. Again not cheap, but this seems to be worth the price if you can afford it.
4. There’s a company that advocates a special “Body Ecology Diet”, This has had good success with autism and virtually all other health issues. It includes many products designed to effectively make the human body work better and more efficiently. It includes some very good probiotics as well as others that help get rid of yeast overgrowth & the “Leaky Gut Syndrome”. Again, not cheap, but worth it, if it is affordable for your family.
5. What do digestive enzymes have to do with ADD/ADHD and autism? A “leaky” gut syndrome” produces more allergy/sensitivity, and enzymes with meals break down the food better lessening the need for the “leaky gut”. This has helped many ADD/ADHD as well as autistic persons.
a. There is a bulletin board sponsored by Kirkman Labs that has a forum on special digestive enzymes. Join at: [email protected].
b. Another company that has an excellent line of enzymes is New Beginnings. In addition to the enzymes, they have a lot of Gluten/Casein Free Nutritional Supplements, and a “purified source” of cholesterol (see below).
6. At the recent Orlando conference, I also learned that many autistics have low cholesterol, and supplementing with two egg yolks a day may improve many symptoms. This is certainly easy and cheap to try. If the person has an allergy to eggs (not uncommon) then a “purified” cholesterol may be obtained from the New Beginnings supplier above that is non allergenic.
7. For autistic (and ADD/ADHD) children, there’s a lot of evidence that a gluten free and dairy free diet can help considerably. Google gfcf for more info. (The Caveman Diet above includes this and many more of the commonly allergenic foods. Try it for a week or so, then switch to gfcf.)
8. The latest research also shows that supplementing with fish oil can dramatically improve the ADD-Autism set of problems. I use the salmon fish oil from Our Health Co-op. This web based health food store is one of the best for both quality and pricing. (I have no financial interest in this company or Solgar, but I do buy several supplements from them.)
9. There’s a drug therapy called LDN (Low Dose Naltrexone). While it is a drug, it seems that in low doses, it can significantly decrease many disease problemse.org Some good results for autistics have been reported. (symptoms) in autism, HIV/Aids, cancers, etc.
10. Another new nutritional “therapy” consists of supplemental glyconutrients. A company called Mannotech is marketing these by an MLM (which I hate), and they apparently are helping with some ADD-Autism symptoms. For more details on glyconutrients – a new found essential nutrient – check out both Mannotech and glyconutrients by googling them.
12. Some have had good results with NAET (Nambudripad Allergy Elimination Technique). However, results are mixed, and Dr Nambudripad has been unhappy with many practitioners who do not follow her technique carefully.
13. There’s a system similar to NAET called Bioset. There’s a book “Food Allergy Cure” by Dr. Ellen Cutler, which explains using Bioset to remove allergies. This can also be done at home as the book explains “How To”. Check your local library and see if they can order it for you, or you can probably get it from Amazon.com. Google Bioset.
14. Don’t forget a very important way to improve all mental “diseases”. Help to solve the “leaky gut syndrome” by cleaning out the gut and by supplementing with a good vitamin/mineral regimen. This should be a first step.
15. Finally, one of the oldest, cheapest & effective “remedies” of all – magnesium! It’s been known for years as the “calming chemical”. In our culture we seldom get enough and this deficiency may worsen many mental problems. It’s safe as if you overdose, like vitamin C, you only get diarrhea!. Milk of Magnesia and Epsom Salts (Magnesium Sulphate) are two very old good products that are often overlooked today . For autistic and ADHD children in particular, try baths using Epsom Salts. It’s helped a lot of kids and adults. I prefer Magnesium Citrate daily for supplemental use. I get this from the Health Co-op mentioned above.
There is also a lot of free information on my “drbate.com” website, and you can get a free copy of the full book “The Health Revolution” by signing up for my free newsletter on that home page.